The purpose of a Netherlands Reformed Christian School is to strive to “train up a child in the way he should go,” for the Lord has promised that “when he is old, he will not depart from it” (Proverbs 22:6). The home, the church, and the school each have a God-given responsibility to bring up our children “in the nurture and admonition of the Lord” (Ephesians 6:4).
While none are able to properly do this of themselves, we must pray and strive to place God and His infallible Word at the center of all subject studies, instruction given, and policies developed. Behavior and guidance must be directed according to Biblical principles. We aim to base religious instruction on the Bible and to present it from a truly Reformed perspective in accordance with our Doctrinal Standards: The Heidelberg Catechism, the Belgic Confession of Faith, and the Canons of Dordt.
On this foundation, instruction must be given in all subjects needed for daily life. In conjunction with our supreme purpose – the glory of God and the eternal welfare of our students – not only Biblical studies are taught, but also a wide range of academic subjects. Each course attempts to draw its basis and theme from the Scripture which “is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, and for instruction in righteousness.” (II Timothy 3:16)
- We believe that there is one true God
- We believe that God has revealed Himself to men by two means. First, by general revelation through His Creation, providence and man’s conscience; secondly, by special revelation through the Holy Bible.
- We believe that the Bible is the Holy Inspired Word of God.
- We believe that this Word of God not only teaches the truth about God but also about man. We believe that God created man perfect and upright, and after His own image in knowledge, righteousness, and holiness.
- We believe that man willingly subjected himself to sin and fell from his holy state. Consequently, all are born in sin and will die in sin, unless regenerated by the Spirt of God.
- We believe in the one and only Mediator between God and Man, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the Five Points of Calvinism (T.U.L.I.P.)
- We believe that the Word of God provides clear instruction for man’s everyday life in the world.
- We believe that although infant baptism places us under the privileges of an external (non-saving) covenant relationship with God, we need the personal regeneration work of the Holy Spirit to bring us into the Covenant of Grace in an internal (saving) covenant relationship with God.
The Netherlands Reformed Christian School (NRCS) opened in 1975 as a primary school supported by three churches from separate but similar denominations.
Beginning with grades 1 – 6, NRCS has expanded to include Pre-K to grade 12. With a student high school enrollment of approximately 60, and a professional staff of 20, the NRCHS offers students a select curriculum in three areas: college preparatory, secretarial/business or occupation/career training with a Cooperative Education Program and collaborative courses at Morris County School of Technology.
The NRCS is a member of NRCEA (Netherlands Reformed Christian Educational Association) as well as CSI (Christian School International).
The school administration and faculty are active participants in NRCEA conferences and attend on a regular basis.
NRCEA consists of 12 member schools, representing 3189 students and 246 teachers.
NRCS makes use of some CSI curriculum materials and participates in their Medical Benefits and Employee Pension Plan.